Monday, October 1, 2007

Childless Spinster

In a recent issue of Ladies Home Journal (really) I came across the following:

Are Kids the Key to Happiness?

Women who've never had children are just as content at midlife as mothers of the same age and in the same circumstances, according to a study from the University of Florida. Whether a woman gives birth seems less crucial to her well being than such factors as education, work, and earnings, as well as relationships with family and friends. When children make their appearance is key, though. The study found that women who gave birth before the age of 19 were the least happy.
*****

Ok, now. For my entire life people have been ramming down my throat (more after I hit 27) that, "OMG, you need to have babies. You're eggs are drying up and dying! Don't you want to have this amazing experience?"

Apparently not.

I have great relationships with my family and (awesome) friends (more awesome than yours). I have a Master's degree. I have an amazing career. I take multiple vacations a year, etc.

I'm just wondering why the "make babies while you still can" party line gets so much publicity all over town, when apparently, I am already as happy as I am gonna get. And this news gets 2.5 x 4 inches on page 20 in Ladies Home Journal. Good thing I caught it.

I'm not saying kids aren't great, and bully to those who have them. There's something about the trauma of caring for a child that really bonds you to that creature. As a former nanny, I can attest. And love for a child is like no other.

But I really take issue with people like Gwyneth Paltrow who say asinine things like, "My life truly began after I had kids." No it didn't. You were a stellar actress with an amazing career and great reviews. Have a little pride.

I know being a mom is hard, and I know it's very fulfilling and yay for you, but do we seriously have to degrade the things we did before we had kids as unimportant because being a parent is sooooooo much more important than everything else we've ever done? Because everything in life that one accomplishes is seemingly less credible and deserving of praise than raising a child?

Someone raised you to be something great. And you are. Take a little pride in THAT. Have a little self-love. It will be the most helpful thing you could do for your kids and their self-esteem.

Now, to end my rant, please enjoy a video performance from one of my favorite childless women, Dusty Springfield. You can't tell me she doesn't look happy in this clip!



1 comment:

MoOnTheGo said...

I love that your blog makes me laugh out loud.
I keep forgetting to read it so every so often I get a big healthy scoop of the wisdom that is Miss J Dubs. And it make me smile!!
BTW you read so many diffrent intelligent sounding publications. Make you sound like you actually earned your Masters through study.
Am totally impressed.